Patties Foods became a signatory to the Australian Packaging Covenant in 2001. This is a National initiative which aims to change how businesses think about design, sustainable packaging, recycling rates and packaging litter.
As part of our commitment to helping protect the environment, we’ve undertaken a five-year action plan which includes:
1. Optimising our packaging design to reduce environmental impact. We believe this can be done whilst still maintaining our product efficiency, quality and safety standards.
2. Continuously improving our procedures and documentation processes. We want to increase our recycled packaging material and “full life cycle approach” to product design and creation. We believe this does not need to impact product quality, safety and integrity.
3. Driving adherence to the Packaging Covenants initiatives and sustainable packaging principles and strategies throughout our full supply chain process. We have reviewed:
- Our supplier selection and management process and our R&D Supplier Technical Review process
- Our product designs with our packaging suppliers
- How we work with our recycling partners to create, implement and drive resource recovery initiatives:
i. Internally within the Bairnsdale facility
ii. Externally with the East Gippsland Shire Council (including improved use of packaging recycling waste management recovery systems such as kerbside management).